Green 1920's Gown: And A Photoshop Experiment


Last week, I was browsing a lovely vintage and antique clothing site called Woodland Farms Vintage and I came across the above green frock.  The site says it's 1930's, but if it is, then it's VERY EARLY 30's, because it still has the low waist of the 1920's.  I've always been fascinated by the 20's and 30's, but my figure has always been a little too feminine and curvy to successfully pull off the styles of the 20's.  So, until now, I hadn't even considered making anything from that decade.  But, the lovely green color of the dress above changed my mind.  At the end of the school year, I was given a gift card from one of my students to a local fabric store.  So, I thought it was about time I use the card.  I couldn't afford silk (I also thought it would be too dressy for every day wear), and I don't like synthetic silks, so, instead, I bought some linen/rayon blend fabric that was on sale.  It's a gorgeous color! 


My dress doesn't drape as nicely as the silk one above, and I didn't copy it exactly...it's more of an inspiration dress.  I'm still not convinced I look all that fabulous in 20's dress...to put it bluntly, I'm not flat chested enough.  But it was a fun project to try anyway.


 I used what I had on hand to trim my dress....no gorgeous lace, or sequin applique, but I did have a deco belt buckle in my stash.  (The color of the fabric is a bit distorted in this image.  It's not this teal in real life.) 

 The funny thing is, after I started making this dress,  Lauren, over at American Duchess put up a couple of posts about 1920's photography.  So, being in the 20's mood already, I decided to experiment with some pictures of me in my deco garb.  Here they are...some look more deco than others...but oh well...enjoy anyway!







This one's my favorite...it looks the most like Hollywood 20's to me, with the high contrast, and big, dark eyes.  All it's missing is the black backdrop.

Comments

Lauren R said…
Fantastic! I love the dress and I love the photos! Very well done! I'm glad you got some use out of my little tutorial. I love the last picture most of all, and I think it looks great with the grey background - doesn't always need to be black :-)
Sarah said…
Oh gosh! What an adorable dress. I have never seen a woman with a curvy bosom pull off the 20's look with success, but you have done it! You look marvelous, the dress is gorgeous and altogether you and the dress are a great match. :) The fabric is great - I love the drape. It looks like a very comfortable style. How did you make the opening? Did you do a side opening, or a back one? Did you draft your own pattern or use one as a starting point?

Again, GREAT job! This has to be one of my favorite outfits that you have made. :)
Jenni said…
Lauren, Your tutorial was most helpful. Thank you!

Sarah, Golly...such flattery might very well go straight to a gals head. ha! Seriously though...thank you. It is indeed a very comfortable dress. The only opening is the one at the neck. The dress is large enough that I can just slip it on over my head. The belt helps to sinch it in just a bit. The skirt part was easy...just pleats. For the bodice and sleeves, I began with a dropped shoulder (or is it called raglan sleeve?) tunic pattern I own from the designer Wenlan Chia. But I altered it by lengthening and widening the sleeves and bodice, as well as changing the shape of the neck line and shoulders. It's pretty much just a a giant rectangle, with slight curves at the arm scythes, and a shallow v-neck. The sleeves are nearly tubes...they have a tiny hump where they attach at the shoulder.
Nabila Grace said…
Oh gracious me I saw the picture of the dress that you semi copied and almost died absolutely stunning! Love it! Love your dress and the dress fabric! And what a great photo shoot you did!
Jenni said…
Nabila - Isn't the original dress gorgeous!? Thanks for the compliments.

Popular Posts