Challenge #2 of the Dreamstress' Historical Sew Fortnightly event is an UFO (un-finished object.) I'm a day late, as usual, and it's been a long day. So, please forgive the brief post, plus the deluge of dark photos(dreary weather means bad lighting.) If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them.
Otherwise, it's just the facts:
The Challenge: UFO - My 1884 Gypsy Jacket. Cut out, but never sewn. Technically, this is STILL an UFO, because I don't have the trim/braid/buttons on the front of the jacket(I will be saving this for another challenge). You can read more about this former project HERE!
Fabric: Outer fabric, wool-blend plaid. Lining, cotton. Cuffs and collars, cotton velvet.
Pattern: Truly Victorian French Vest Pattern, with some alterations to the front to make it look more like the Gypsie Jacket in The Wonderful World of Ladies' Fashion: 1850-1920.
Notions: Thread, hooks and eyes.
How historically accurate is it? The pattern and design are historically accurate. I'm not sure about the construction...I followed the directions in the pattern for most of it, but improvised for the altered front. I machine sewed about 3/4 of it, and hand sewed the rest. I did NOT put boning in the jacket, as the pattern requested. I DO think boning would help with smoothing out the the fabric on the bodice, and with holding the bodice close to the body, but I didn't have any boning on hand, and I don't have the money right now to purchase any.
Hours to complete: Again...I don't know. I'm guessing about 12ish, maybe more.
First worn: Not worn yet.
Total cost: Maybe $25-$30...it was all from my stash.
Still an UFO...but much further along now.