My Next Project: Decisions...Decisions

I'm brainstorming now...trying to decide what my next Regency era project will be.  I've decided to start with a new shift.  It will probably be a sleeveless one, because my current shift, when worn under my white gown, looks like I'm wearing a t-shirt underneath.  I'm also planning on making a new petticoat.  Both of these should be easy, quick and cheap projects. 


The hard part is trying to decide what I want to do with my new, blue, sheer, cotton/linen blend fabric that I bought at the 18th c. market fair a couple of weeks ago.  I have 5 yards.  Here are my ideas.  Will you help me decide?

Note: The source for all of these fashion plates is Dames a la Mode.

1796

I saw this plate, and while I'm sure the gown is probably made of some sort of silk or fine lawn/voile, the color is nearly spot on.  1796 is about as early as I would go for a new Regency era gown.  Actually, I'm not even sure it qualifies as Regency...does it?  Maybe Georgian?  My knowledge of  British Royal history is foggy right now.  I'm on medicine for allergies...that's my excuse.  Anyhow...I love the open robe feel, the v-neck, how it closes in the front(easy on/off), and the lace/embroidered trim is gorgeous.  With the 3/4 length sleeves, my 5 yards would be stretched...but it can be done.  This is the only gown in this list of ideas to have longer sleeves.  I'm dreading the summer heat of next year already, and we aren't even through with Autumn yet.

1796

Another early one...also the perfect color, but no sleeves.  I would wear this one over my white Tiden's Toj gown...which means another layer, even without sleeves.  There are not a lot of details on this fashion plate, and I'm left to wonder where the seems are, how it's gathered and closed in the front, etc.  But, it's pretty, none the less...so it's on my list.

1799

I don't really like the colors of the trim on this one, but I do like the idea of the trim.  I can't really tell what's going on with the front of the dress, and have the feeling that it's quite boring.  But, it's the right color, and has cute short sleeves.

1800

A later look that really caught my eye, especially because it's one of those rare moments when we get to see the back of a dress.  It's not the right color, but my fabric would look equally as good, I think.  I like that it's sleeveless.  But, I'm thinking that I would have to make and wear a sleeved chemisette under it.  I really like the look of the sleeves in this plate, and if the chemisette was made of a light and sheer material, it wouldn't be too hot.

1801

The last plate gave me a good idea for the back of a gown, and I kind of like the front on this one.  Again, a sort of chemisette with sleeves would need to be made and worn underneath.  The only question I have on this one... would my not so small bosom look right in a dress with such a narrow bodice?  hhhmmm...

1803

Last, but certainly not least...this one is later, but I think it's rather elegant.  I like how the sheer, white sleeves could possibly be attached to the blue gown.  Also, the lace, or ruched detailing around the top of the bodice is so delicate and pretty.  I kind of like the veil too.

Well, that's all I've got.  Please chime in with suggestions, votes, vetos or ideas.   I would love to hear your thoughts.


Comments

Sarah said…
Oooooohh!! Squee! What lovely fabric and the fashion plates are all so pretty. I personally love the 1801 plate, the gown that would be worn with a sleeved chemisette. Oh! It's gorgeous! If you don't make it, I will have to. ;)

I think that if you keep everything in proportion, your bosom size wouldn't really matter, especially since you have stays to keep everything tidy and contained.

I need to make a new shift and petticoat too. . .I want to try a tucked petti this time around. I can't wait to see what you will be making!
You have purchased beautiful fabric! It's a lovely color!!!
I truly favour the very first gown, but I can't exactly tell why. It just looks gorgeous & graceful, especially with the hem all around and the matching hairpiece. My other choice would be the 1803 dress with the contrasting sheer sleeves and the beautifull frill around. I love how it goes together with the red coral neck lace!

Whatever you choose, I'm looking forward to following your research and progress :)
Sabine
ZipZip said…
Good morning, Jenni!

All nice picks, but I favor the first one for its handsome, elongatign, sweeping lines. It can be made sleeveless, you know, with same-color sleeves tacked in for fall and spring wear. You can then tack on sheer sleeves for summer wear. Whether you tack in lace or not also expands the number of places you can wear it, from a picnic to a concert or evening event. That type of model appears a number of times in other plates. Many of these robes were worn with a separate petticoat... so you don't have the multiple layers.

I think the 1803 gown is really neat, too. You could make a habit shirt for the top, and then, should the vendor you bought the fabric from have some more of that fabric, you could see if they had more for a spencer, and voila, a second outfit out of it!
Cassidy said…
(Yes, 1796 is before the Regency - George IV became Prince Regent in 1810. Technically, the Georgian period lasts until 1830. I call the earlier part of the high-waisted era the Neoclassical period.)

I wonder if some of those that look like they're worn with a sleeved chemisette actually have the sleeves and collar sewn into the dress?

I think the first plate would work very well with the fabric. Also 1803 - it just looks kind of floaty and light.
Diane Shiffer said…
You make the loveliest things♥

As for which lovely thing you should make this time... number one is my favorite garment by far, but I think number two would look especially pretty over your white gown.
Nabila Grace said…
Oh! Love the color one of my all time favorite colors! :o) And I love the idea. I agree with Persuaded ;o)

Popular Posts