Debucourt - Modes et Manières Du Jour ... and other things.


I'm back. Did you miss me? 
2015 was a personally difficult year for me.  I'm sorry for the silence, but I needed to take the last few months off to retreat and recover.  I'm not even sure I want to continue blogging.  I don't really have any inclination to write.  I think, mostly, this place has become a way for me to document what I create.  And if that's the way it's going, then I'm ok with that.  I hope you are too.

There is a small group of historical costumers that are currently working on a fashion plate project, and I'm a part of that group.  It's similar to the Vernet project, but less public and more relaxed.  We've all chosen an ensemble, or a piece of an ensemble, from a collection of plates by Philibert-Louis Debucourt, (13 February 1755 – 22 September 1832) a French painter and engraver.  Most of the plates fall between the years 1800 and 1808, I believe. 



The plate that I've chosen can be found printed in at least two different color schemes, the one in green and pink was reprinted in 1957, the red and white one...I don't have a reprint date for that one.  I haven't found the original print, so I don't know what Debucourt intended the colors to be.  Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me.  I love the green and pink color combination.  But, I've included the red and white one, because I prefer the under-bust cut of the jacket, and the green and pink version has it painted as if it covers the bust completely. 
The gown is made of a fine linen, and the jacket is a light-weight wool.  Both are trimmed in black, silk ribbon.  As usual, everything is hand sewn.






And some boring construction photos... 
Documentation, blah, blah, blah...
Scroll down for more exciting stuff...












On the more interesting side...
I found an antique, hand woven, lace mantilla that works perfectly for this outfit.
I'm planning on wearing this ensemble at the Jane Austen Festival this year, so be prepared for a downpour of pictures later next month.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And in other news...
I've been playing around with calligraphy.
The HMS Acasta holds a call for letters each year, and they normally open the mail packet at the Jane Austen Festival.  I decided to contribute to the packet this year.  I had a little fun making wills, advertisements, and forging British bank notes! I've covered the names of the crew members, because who gets what is a secret for now.  There's still time for you to contribute to the mail packet if you would like.  And there's still time for you to register to go to the 8th annual Jane Austen Festival in Louisville, KY.  You don't want to miss that!









Comments

Popular Posts