Peg Loom: The First Rug



It has been a productive Spring Break for me.  I finished my first rug on the peg loom.  
It is soothing to work on this loom...the repetition, the patterns, the texture of the wool...all pull me into a sort of trance.  The natural oils in the wool soften the skin on my hands as it slips through my fingers.


I purchased two types of wool for this.  The white is an Ashland Bay Faulkland Wool Top, and the grey is a Norwegian Wool Top.  The Faulkland is super smooth, like silk, and is made of long, straight fibers about 5 inches in length.  The Norwegian is scruffy with a rougher texture, the fibers being about 3 inches long and slightly curly.


My pattern was simple.  I started with white only...then grey and white stripes...then white with grey dots...then a few rows of white...one row of grey...and then I repeated in reverse until I came to the other end.  I ended up not having enough white, so I had to take about 5 rows of white off the front end, and weave them in at the back end.  Because of this, the rug didn't turn out as long as I would have liked it to be.  I wanted an additional 5 or 6 inches on each end.  Now that I know how far 1 oz. of yarn will go, I will be more prepared for the next rug.  I used nearly 48 oz. of wool in all.  I wonder how many sheep that would be?


To finish off the edges neatly, and to help disguise the fact that the rug is shorter than planned, I used some of the Norwegian wool to make tassels.  The over-all size of the rug is about 2 ft. wide by 3 1/2 ft. long.



We already have one cat that approves.  
A camouflaged cat loaf..."Ah Ha!" she says,"No one can see me here!"

Comments

Dianna said…
It's beautiful and so very real.
Cassidy said…
That looks so lovely and warm! I can't wait to see what else you end up doing with this.
Jenni said…
Thank you, Dianna and Cassidy!
ZipZip said…
Dear Jenni,

Yummy, yummy yummy. So soft on the toes, and clearly so soft on the paws. Zimu knows what is good.

Can't wait to what you dream up next! Meantime, I think there are measurement helps out there (somewhere) in the fiber world that help you figure out how much fiber you need for a given project.

Hugs,

Natalie
Jenni, I'll take one of those if the darling cat comes with it! What a wonderful project.
Jenni said…
Jean, thank you. I doubt you would want the darling cat...she is sweet to us, but she's a stranger's worst nightmare!

Popular Posts